ARCHIVES

Monday, July 4, 2011

A Narrative With Only Short Sentences

Hello everyone!

Today i will be doing an interesting exercise!

Write a paragraph of narrative, 100-150 words, in sentences of seven or fewer words. No sentence fragments! Each must have a subject and a verb:

The sun hung high in the sky. Its rays baked the ground relentlessly. Beads of sweat trickled down my cheeks. I made a beeline for home. All I want was a shower. A cool shower to refresh myself. I took a shortcut, through the park. "HELP! HELP!", screams reverberated around the park. Overwhelmed by curiosity, I decided to investigate. I walked in the direction of the sound. Adrenaline pumped through my veins. I was curious yet scared. I was greeted by a ferocious dog. Its incisors were exposed. Shivers were sent down my spine. I stood transfixed to the ground, motionless. The dog pounced onto me. Its incisors sunk into my tender flesh. The pain was excruciating. Curiosity killed the cat.

[121 words]

That is all!

Yours sincerely,
Mervin (:

1 comment:

Benedict Chin 2A2(06) said...

Mervin :D
I like how you successfully evoke a tense atmosphere of the short paragraphing. The sentences are rather simple and sweet, which is a good thing, that brings across that similar nail-biting feeling. The humour at the end was pretty exciting, but probably you could envision yourself as the cat. Maybe you, as the persona, is the cat. So you could go on and explain like " his incisors dug deep into my fur" . Do not reveal at all that you are the cat but give subtle hints, then at the end you put in that " Curiosity killed the cat" . It would be interesting too, but overall, good job.
Benedict. :D