ARCHIVES

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Online Lesson #12

Hello everyone!

Now I will be doing the Online Lesson #12.

The scrolls from each of the casket, gold, silver and lead chosen by the Prince of Morocco, Prince of Arragon and Bassanio respectively, each has a common theme, which is not to judge the book by its cover, and also shows that contrast between love and self interests.


Firstly, Prince of Morocco wanted to court Portia, because she was very wealthy and furthermore, has extremely fair skin, hence being extremely beautiful. Hence he loved her not for her true self, her inner self, her character, but instead wanted to court her for wealth and other interests. Furthermore, he chose the gold casket, claiming that it signifies Portia, being glamorous and wealthy, majestic and high classed. However, little did he know that it signified greed, which refers to courting for self interest as explained earlier. Hence, it was a bad decision. Also, this showed the immature thinking of the Prince, and his cowardliness as well.


Next, the Prince of Arragon chose the silver casket, was immature and cowardly, not daring to choose anything that contains an element of risk. Hence, he chose the silver casket, as he claims it to be the best among all three. He feels that risks are not worth it as long as they are not objectively attractive to him. Hence, he judged the book by its cover and acted rashly, leading to failure as well. Furthermore, he did it just for himself, not considering Portia's feelings etc at all. It was all about him. Whether he will be able to get the correct casket. Whether it was worth the risk for him. Whether it would allow him to gain the money and fame after marrying Portia. Hence, it shows that it was an extremely selfish decision as well.


Last but not least, Bassanio made the right decision, and "did not choose by the view", as stated by the book. Bassanio made the correct judgement, and resisted the urge to judge the book by its cover. Also, he was matured, and thought carefully before choosing and making rash decisions, jumping to bottomless conclusions. Hence he was entitled to "a loving kiss" from Portia, and thus signifies that he is the right man whom Portia shall marry. Furthermore, despite him courting Portia for money as one of his reasons, there was still mutual love and respect for each other.

That is the end! Now, I will write the Narrative Essay(:

The battle raged on in my heart. Should I go against my moral values and let bygones be bygones, or should I tell the teacher right now, to let John learn a lesson, and turn over a new leaf, to learn never to cheat again? "Honesty is the best policy" is something that is thought to me since I were a small kid. Shouldn't I put what I learnt into good use? Furthermore, it will help John, and make sure that he learn from his mistakes. His GRAVE mistake. However, he is my best friend and furthermore, someone so popular among my classmates. If I told on him, he will definitely break all relationships with me and I will be shunned by a ghost! I have to decide instantaneously! Turn away from my moral values and let everything go to waste, or face the repercussions as a sacrifice for John?


In a moment of moral fury, I shot my hand into the air.

That is all!

Thank you!

Yours sincerely,
Mervin ((:

No comments: